You are here
Related Oral History Collections
- Related Oral History Collections and Exhibitions
- American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI). Morris F. Collen Award of Excellence Recipients [Video Tributes and JAMIA articles]. https://www.amia.org/programs/acmi-fellowship
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA). Nursing Informatics History Project. http://www.amia.org/working-groups/nursing-informatics/history-project.
- Medical Library Association (MLA) Oral History Project. https://www.mlanet.org/about/history/oral-history-project
- Rutgers University Medical Informatics History Project. http://infohistory.rutgers.edu/
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America’s women physicians. 2003. Available at: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/changingthefaceofmedicine/.
- U.S. National Library of Medicine History of Medicine Division Archives and Modern Manuscript Program. Oral History Collections. US Natl Libr Med. Available at: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/manuscripts/oh.html.
- FOCUS Eye Care in Haiti and Nigeria from 1961-1996, by James E. McDonald, MD. Firsthand journal accounts, photographs, and memoir about establishing a voluteer ophthalmology medical and surgical eye service in Haiti and later in Nigeria called FOCUS (Foreign Ophthalmological Care from the United States). E-book (1st edition 2010 edited by Ron Fishman, MD; 2nd edition 2014 edited by Clem McDonald, Jr., MD).
Tips for Conducting Oral History Interviews
- The Library of Congress, The American Folklife Center. Oral History Interviews. http://www.loc.gov/folklife/familyfolklife/oralhistory.html
- Oral History Association. Principles and Best Practices. http://www.oralhistory.org/about/principles-and-practices/
Publications based on the Conversations with Medical Informatics Pioneers oral history collection
Sittig DF, Ash JS, Ledley RS. The story behind the development of the first whole-body computerized tomography scanner as told by Robert S. Ledley. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006 Sep-Oct;13(5):465-9. Epub 2006 Jun 23.PMID:16799115 PMCID: PMC1561796 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16799115
West RT. IAIMS: an interview with Dick West. Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems. Interview by Joan S Ash and Frances E Johnson. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1999 Nov-Dec;6(6):447-56.PMID:10579603 PMCID: PMC61388 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10579603
Wright A, Sittig DF, McGowan J, Ash JS, Weed LL. Bringing science to medicine: an interview with Larry Weed, inventor of the problem-oriented medical record. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014 Nov-Dec;21(6):964-8. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2014-002776. Epub 2014 May 28. PMID: 24872343 PMCID: PMC4215056 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24872343